Virtual Storytelling for Leaders®
NOTE: There are FOUR two-hour online workshops in this program—each at 4:00pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time. You can convert this time to your local timezone here.
Workshop 1: Monday 19 October, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (AEDT – Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne)—What are business stories, and why are they important? How do they help you connect?
Workshop 2: Wednesday 21 October, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (AEDT – Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne)—Communicating decisions, changes, ideas, and strategies
Workshop 3: Tuesday 27 October, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (AEDT – Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne)—Overcoming entrenched views and demonstrating value
Workshop 4: Thursday 29 October, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (AEDT – Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne)—Bringing it all together and embedding story
*Prices listed in USD. Form displays after five seconds.
Influence without relying on authority.
Build fast rapport.
Change minds and inspire action.
Anecdote’s Storytelling for Leaders program will teach you the techniques you need to better influence, engage and inspire others – just as thousands of leaders already have, from Melbourne to New York, London to Singapore.
And all the learning is online, interactive, and instructor-lead.
It’s organised into four 2-hour sessions with bridging activities between sessions to ensure the learning sticks.
“I could not believe how engaging it was online and how connected I felt to the class. Having the ability to take in smaller sessions was, in my opinion, an advantage as it gave valuable time in between the sessions to consolidate learning and practice the techniques—with great coaching.” —a recent participant in our online programs.
Organisations are evolving fast. Structures are flatter and reporting lines more complex. Employees and customers are spread around the world. And everyone is deafened by the ‘noise’ of information inundation. Yet the modern leader still needs to be able to influence and persuade in this constantly fluid environment… and this leadership occurs at all levels in an organisation.
The sharing of stories orally is a powerful way of cutting through regardless of the medium (online or face-to-face). When we share stories (real-life examples) to make a business point, people ‘get’ what we are saying—and they remember it. This is the case whether we are communicating informally (which is what we do most of the time) or in a more formal environment such as a presentation or pitch.
“Other presentations were dry and heavy, but the Yammer presentations really stood out because we were telling stories versus merely sharing data” —a Storytelling for Leaders participant describes the way storytelling changed her presentations.
More than just storytelling
Storytelling for Leaders will teach you a systematic method for becoming a better, more confident business storyteller. However, the program goes further. You will also learn how to use the magic of stories to get more from others—story-listening is the art of getting others to share stories. You’ll learn how to elicit stories from others, building stronger connections, and gaining a better understanding of what’s really happening.
At the highest level, the program helps participants to influence, engage, and inspire. Participants who fully engage with the workshop and the Deliberate Practice Program can expect the following outcomes:
- your presentations will be the ones people are talking about;
- your messaging will be much more concise, more understandable, and more engaging;
- you’ll be much more successful when pitching ideas, funding proposals, and client propositions;
- you’ll communicate strategies, decisions, and changes in ways that people understand, remember, and engage with;
- people with strongly held views will be more open to changing their mind and seeing your point of view; and
- you’ll be more authentic and credible.
Teaching storytelling skills and making them stick
Storytelling for Leaders is not a one-off event, but a complete 6-month program. It includes:
- Online Storytelling for Leaders is delivered as 4 x 2-hour Zoom-based instructor-led workshops. A bridging activity between each workshop helps to embed the learning.
- Workshop 1: What are business stories and why are they important, how do they help you connect?
- Workshop 2: Communicating decisions, changes, ideas, and strategies.
- Workshop 3: Overcoming entrenched views and demonstrating value.
- Workshop 4: Bringing it all together and embedding story.
- Our unique Deliberate Practice Program (DPP). This six-month workplace-based program includes 24 weekly micro-learning activities to embed and enhance what was learned in the workshop. Much of the valuable learning will occur when you apply these skills in the workplace. You also get six months of online access to your presenter to ask questions and get feedback. Participants also get access to the Storytelling for Leaders® Online Resource Centre that provides additional resources, videos, etc. for each aspect of the program.
The Deliberate Practice Program includes online support, with the opportunity to ask questions and share your experiences at any time. “The workshop covered a lot of territory in a way that combined analytical rigour with clear and informal delivery. I recommend it without reservation.”
Who should attend?
Storytelling for Leaders is beneficial to anyone whose role requires them to influence, engage, and inspire others. Previous participants have included leaders, project managers, salespeople, consultants, and trainers.
About your presenters
Paul Ichilcik is a Principal in the Sydney office of Anecdote. He is an expert facilitator and story consultant, having worked with C-level leaders across the globe to bring strategy and transformation efforts to life. Paul is a former management consultant and, prior to Anecdote, he worked in the US, in executive communications roles for Amazon, Microsoft, and a San Francisco brand agency.
What setup do I need for the webinars? You’ll need a quiet location with good broadband access. It helps a lot if you have a good quality microphone and you’ll get more from our visuals if you have at least a laptop-size screen. Please have yourself well lit so the other participants can see you well. We’ll be practicing oral stories and we want to be able to see your facial expressions and body language. For the story coaching between webinars, you’ll need the WhatsApp program installed on your smartphone.
What course materials do I get? As soon as you register we’ll send a physical copy of the course workbook. You’ll be able to use a temporary PDF file of the workbook and exercises if we can’t get the workbook to you in time for the first webinar.
What can I do to prepare for the event? Please bring a case study example from your business—that is, the details about another customer that succeeded with your products and services. We’ll turn it into a story.